Life can go on quite normally with braces. However, there are a few factors to keep in mind in order to protect your teeth and the progress of the treatment.
- “Chewy, Gooey, and Hard” – This is the easiest way to remember which foods to avoid when wearing braces. Very sticky foods such as caramel or taffy can cause problems. Also, very hard foods like ice and hard candy can be damaging to braces. We will give you a comprehensive list after you get your braces put on.
- Feel free to continue playing sports, however, a mouth guard is necessary to protect your teeth.
- Patients should attempt to brush their teeth at least 3 times a day: after meals and before going to bed at night. Regular flossing is also very important for your teeth. We will show you the best way to floss while you have braces on.
Benefits of Adult Braces
Our theory is that nobody is ever “too old” for braces or a beautiful smile. As long as gums and teeth are healthy, orthodontic treatment for adults can offer many great benefits.
From cosmetic to medical, braces for adults are highly recommended and offer the following distinct results:
- Aid to decrease and relieve potential jaw joint problems or pain (TMJ/TMD)
- Today’s society puts a lot of emphasis on appearance and the result of treatment from braces can offer higher self-esteem and self-confidence
- Fixing your teeth with braces can improve the health of your teeth and gums
- Fix and develop the proper bite relationships for long-term use and function
- Help to minimize the extreme wear on the teeth